Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving


This is my second Thanksgiving abroad, and already its a huge improvement on the first one.

In 2003, I spent Thanksgiving in London while studying at NYU's campus there. It seemed like everyone there was absurdly rich except me and this one other girl (we became very good friends). Everyone flew home, or else made reservations at expensive restaurants where a half-pound plate of turkey would cost you 30 pounds. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but that's how I remember it. Anyway, it was just two of us, eating frozen dinners (Indian food!) in the basement of the NYU building - our dorms didn't have kitchens or anything. It sucked.


This year, I've been giving presentations to the 5th and 6th grade classes about the history and traditions of Thanksgiving. Ian prepared a short writeup, and the English teacher (our boss, Conchi) had a slideshow from last year. Teaching them how to say "Massachusetts" (the landing site of the Pilgrims) was fun.

We invited all the Americans around, in Martos and Jaen (the bigger city nearby), to join us, and it looks like we'll have a group of ten or so, with everyone chipping in with some kind of food. I made cornbread and an apple pie. Ian made a pie, too (Dan & Poonam also helped with the pies), and stuffing, and Dan is cooking Turkey. I am pretty excited about eating it. We also invited Conchi, who will be the only Spaniard here.

No comments:

Post a Comment