Saturday, December 19, 2009

Wow, I suck at blogging! Merry Christmas!

I'm preparing to leave for Malaga tomorrow, and then to Ireland for Christmas.
It's been a while since I updated, so here are a few quick hits.

I went to Granada last week for a day and saw the Alhambra, a ramshackle but beautiful Moorish palace. I took no pictures because I forgot to charge my camera and it died. Washington Irving, the author of the legends of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle, lived there for years. I bought a book of his Tales of the Alhambra, which mixes legends about the place with his experience living there. Like me, Irving was from the Hudson Valley and one of 11 children. So let me live in the Alhambra already, Spain! One drawback, in the famous Patio de Leones, there were no Leones - the place has been under renovation for about two years.

I went to Sevilla the week before, took loads of pictures, and generally had a really good time.

In Science class, one student asked me why the Fallopian tubes were called the Fallopian tubes and not the Fernando tubes (so many things in Martos are named Fernando, for the Summoned King, I think).

Another student asked me how to spell 'motherfucker.' He did not get to play in the playground that day.

I've written kids-theater versions of Puss-in-Boots and Cinderella.

I've spent most of my free time writing poetry, and I've got about 50 pages. Not all good, but not all bad either.

If, as is likely, I don't post between now and then, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year's!

No comments:

Post a Comment